I am sorry that you feel dissatisfied with the professional services provided by Counsel.

In the first instance, I will use my best endeavours to resolve any difficulties myself but if I am unable to do so, I will take up your complaint with the Barrister concerned.

If the problem remains unresolved, there are two options to take the matter further:-

(1) Alternative Dispute Resolution Body (‘ADR’)

An approved ADR body can deal with any complaint in the event that: the barrister is unable to resolve the complaint through their own complaints process and both the barrister and the client agree to use the scheme. The barrister is therefore not required to use ADR and is only required to inform the client of the option under the Alternative Dispute Resolution for Consumer Disputes (Amendment) Regulations 2015. Suggested ADR bodies are Small Claims Mediation at or ProMediate UK Ltd at

(2) Legal Ombudsman (‘LeO’)

You may complain to the LeO, which is a free, impartial and independent service set up by the Government to deal with complaints about the service you have received. The details are as follows:

Legal Ombudsman

PO Box 6167

Slough SL1 0EH Email:

Phone: 0300 555 0333 Website:

Clients can complain to the LeO if they are unhappy with the final response to their complaint, or if their complaint has not been dealt with in eight weeks. You must complain to the Ombudsman within six months of receiving a final response to your complaint from the Barrister concerned or from Foregate. You are hereby notified of your right to complain to the LeO and of the six-month time limit. The Legal Ombudsman expects complaints to be made to them within one year of the date of the act or omission about which you are concerned or within one year of you realising there was a concern.

Clients who have a right to complain to the LeO are individuals and, broadly speaking, small businesses and charities. The full list of who has a right to complain to LeO is available on their website:

Please be advised that lay clients can complain direct to Foregate and to the Legal Ombudsman without involving solicitors.